Friday, August 10, 2012

Eph 5 and an Engagement Session


I had the privilege of meeting two engaged cuties the other day. I took their pictures at the Chattanooga Choo Choo, which was very romantic with all the flowerbeds, fountains, and iron work. I loved watching these two interact with each other. They couldn’t keep their hands to themselves! Adorable. Adorable. Adorable couple.

As I left the Choo Choo, I was thinking about what a bright future these two seem to have, fresh out of college, moving to a new city, and quite obviously in love. I looked up, past the intersect ion, and saw the ugliest thing I’ve seen in a while. A big, honking, sign that simply read “1-800-DIVORCE”

 Hideous.
And what a downer! I was feeling rejuvenated by this young couple’s affections, and thinking a blue bird might alight on my shoulder at any minute and sing a pretty little song to me. Thanks a lot for ruining my fairy tale, you big ugly sign! Coincidently, I hope this post isn’t a downer for this sweet couple…
I thought, I guess that’s how divorce is: a hideous thing that ruins daydreams and happiness. It breaks my heart. I hate that anyone would have to go through it.
I started wondering why divorce is so prevalent in our culture when it is clearly not at all God’s plan for marriage. Men are to love their wives as Christ loves the Church [all believers across time and space] Christ loves us a lot. And women are to respect their husbands as we do the Lord. When’s the last time I gave my husband as much credit as I give to God himself?? That’s some serious love and respect that would leave absolutely no room for divorce. Not even a speeding train could interrupt someone's attention if they were being loved and respected like that.
Love and respect like that would never be selfish. That’s what my problems always boil down to. I’m so selfish. My husband leaves his dirty socks on the coffee table, yes, you read that right. The coffee table. I’m annoyed because I’m grossed out. My husband doesn’t make my daughter share with him the way I want him to. I’m angry because I’m the one that deals with it at playdates when she fights over toys. My husband doesn’t like to plan, but I’m irritated because my schedule is inconvenienced.
If I look deep enough at the cause, I’m only ever angry when my comfort is jeopardized, when my feelings are hurt, when my way isn’t the highway.
It’s all about me.
Nope. It’s not even halfway about me. Marriage isn’t 50/50. It’s 100. 100% about the other person.
Jake, I pledge to make you feel like you’re 100% of my day to day, my love and my world. I know I won’t always get it right, but even when I'm feeling selfish, I never want to pick up anyone else’s dirty socks. Thank you for loving me even when I am selfish. That’s exactly the way Christ loves me.
Shawn and Kristen, I hope you guys can discover this kind of love that is a reflection of Christ, if you haven’t already, and that you’ll protect yourselves from anything ugly that might come against your marriage. Marriage is awesome. Enjoy it!







And that's my marriage advice. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment