Sunday, August 19, 2012

Legacy


Legacy isn’t something I thought much about until I reached adulthood, or maybe it was parenthood that did it for me. Actually, come to think of it, I think parenthood gave way to my grand entrance into adulthood… that’s another story. Anyway, I’m nearing my big honking late twenties in a couple of months and I want to know that my life has some meaning. Of course, my ultimate purpose is always to bring glory to God, to know Him and to love Him, but what about my meaning to this world? What am I leaving and teaching my children? What will they pass down to their children? How will that affect the all people they’ll work with, study with, and play with? What exactly will I leave this world?  

This couple, while celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary, obviously is teaching their children that they’ve valued their marriage, along with commitment, perseverance, and dedication.  From the hour I spent with the family, I think they all must have learned a little something about fellowship, selflessness and community. All twelve people were staying in a house together and I didn’t hear any bickering. Not even close. That takes some selflessness! I’m sure I don’t know everything that was passed on in the Harrison family, but I’m glad it got me thinking about what’s being passed on, taught and valued in mine.

Also, it seems that the Harrisons also valued photography, from the past and the present. That makes them a-ok in my book! I love that they had this wedding photograph for fifty years!

No comments:

Post a Comment